Public Health Sessions
MARUF21 PUBLIC HEALTH SESSION IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS
Marmara Urban Forum is now accepting applications for Publich Health sessions. Applications close on 13th August 2021.
Based on the "unity" notion that MARUF21 focuses on, one of the main axes of MARUF21 will be the "Healthy City," which considers nature and people as an inseparable whole and determines "creating a healthy and livable environment" for all individuals living in the city as the primary purpose. On the basis of this axis, a solution will be sought on how to integrate the concept, which has strong relations with many different disciplines, into today's cities.
What are Public Health Sessions?
The issue of Public Health, which has become increasingly important with the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, and studies aimed at ensuring that citizens live in a healthy society will be discussed. The sessions will provide a basis for local administrations, NGOs, international organizations, universities, funding organizations and private sector representatives to share their works, knowledge and expertise on public health.
Who Can Apply?
All private sector professionals, civil society representatives, local governments and public institution representatives, academics, researchers, and student societies can become a part of MARUF21 by applying to the “Public Health Session” side event.
The speeches can focus on preventing diseases, prolonging life and improving health through ecological, social, infrastructure and psychological perspectives. Inclusivity is an important criterion in these sessions where the health of the people living in the city and the factors affecting them will be discussed. The issues can be examined in the context of economy, inequalities, and the effects of COVID-19 without excluding vulnerable groups such as children, youth, the elderly, women, immigrants, and disabled people.
- Speeches can be held virtually or physically with minimum 2, maximum 6 speakers, and a moderator within 45, 60, 75 or 90 minutes.
- Inclusiveness, gender balance, level of expertise, and expresiveness are considered in the selection of speakers and moderators.
- The person/institution organizing the session is responsible for informing the speakers and moderator and providing them with the necessary support.
- It is recommended that the sessions be designed in a multi-stakeholder structure with the participation of speakers and moderators from different sectors (university, private sector, etc.).
- Applicants know that MMU members from all political parties will participate in their event and they ensure that the discussions would be conducted in a respectful manner.In addition, they undertake to avoid actions that could damage the reputation of MMU.
- Applicants are expected to encourage participants to discuss, network, build capacity, share experience and good practices on public health. It is also recommended to create an environment where public-private partnerships can be established in the field of regional and local development, where representatives and partners from the public, business and/or financial sectors and academia can be involved.
- Sessions can be made interactive by using surveys and polls.
- The content and suitability of the proposed event will be reviewed by MMU and the session application will be evaluated with the designated team.
- The moderator must have adequate background knowledge and experience in the field.
- The person designated as the moderator is expected to have moderated an event before.
- The moderator is responsible for ensuring that the speakers stay within the allotted time and the session goes smoothly and encouraging participants to discuss the topic.
- The moderators should hold a virtual meeting and plan the session with the speakers. The moderator must be reachable by MMU and speakers before and during the event.
- Moderators need to effectively manage the Q&A session with a participatory approach.
- The moderator must accept that the session will be published by MMU on Youtube.
- The speaker must have adequate background knowledge and experience in the field.
- The speakers are expected to have spoken at an event before.
- They are expected to present the subject concisely and to attract the audience attention.
- The speakers must use the MMU presentation draft and comply with the principles of MMU during presentation. The presentation must be sent to MMU through the institution/person who had made the application 30 days before the event will be held.
- The speakers need to stay within the allotted time.
- They are also expected to share their events and sessions on social media with the #MARUF21 hashtag.
- Speakers must be able to adapt to any technological infrastructure to be offered by MMU and attend to the rehearsals to be held before the event.
- The speaker must accept that the session will be published by MMU on Youtube.
How Can I Apply?
You can make your application via the link below by filling out the form until 13 August 2021, 11:59 pm.
Find the application link here.
Date of the Event
Events to be held before 1 October will be considered as ‘MARUF on the Go’, whereas events to be held on 1-2-3 October will be considered as part of the #MARUF21 main event.